Sunday, June 24, 2018

What Motivates You?

Here we are again, yet another blog post about trying to pick things back up.  We are six months into the year and thought it might be good to look at what goals I set out to do at the beginning of the year and see how well, or how shitty I have done.  After evaluating that,  I would probably reset or refocus on said goals.  The only problem is why?  Why does one stop doing something that they really want to do?  What is it that makes maintaining, say a work out program, or eating better throughout the year?  One of the great mysteries of my life.

I remember someone said that if you need motivation to get started or to do something, then you probably don't want to do it, or shouldn't.  I can see the point in that, but surely this isn't the case for everyone.  If memory serves, it was Trent Reznor that said that on a Rockline interview many moons ago.  That is easy for him to say.  He may be wired a certain way than I might be (very clearly).  Let's say that he is musically gifted and working on music isn't as hard to him, and he probably has the means to do so as well.  Different circumstances for everyone.

I do certainly understand what he meant by that.  If you want to do something, then just fucking do it, right?!  Bam!  Simple as that.  It certainly makse a ton of sense, but it just isn't as easy as that for some...hell, for most, I imagine. Having said all of that, I am starting to just do things.  It's a slow process, but I am crawling my way into starting things, and keeping them going.  There's a lot to do.

The big thing is maintaining it  I should be so much better at running, but I always stop.  It's never easy.  There a lot of reasons to stopping, but in the end you might think that are excuses.  You can say that, for sure, but they are legitimate.  Having a family, having a full time job, and even owning a house.  None of it is easy.  It is easy, however, stopping.  Way too easy.  Ugh.  I am really going to try. I've had a successful week, now just to grow in it.  Improve.  I have to.  It is my goal.  I am going to try the just fucking do it thing.  So far, one week in, I've done it.  One week...no big whoop, right?!!  No.  Maybe not, but it's a start, and I go from here.


2 comments:

Rook said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rook said...

I’ve read some good articles and watched some good YouTube videos and Ted Talks on this subject. The great thing is you haven’t stopped completely halfway through the year and that’s a great thing! That’s more motivation to not throw away your progress. Plus you help me to keep going. Gracias your grace. Keep going!