Thursday, September 11, 2008

The calm before the storm...

....literally...it is. Tonight we await Hurricane Ike's arrival. Tomorrow will probably just be a whole lot of sitting in front of the t.v. and watching the news to see just what this storm is going to bring us. It's a little nerve racking, just a little. It will be my first storm as home owner. (sounds weird that I am a home owner?!) As for now, I think that everyone is about as prepared as we are possibly going to be. I guess that we are going to roll the dice and go without boarding up the windows. Hopefully it won't be as bad as that it can be. Only time will tell.

It really has been "the calm before the storm" as they say. On the ride home from work, the freeway was as empty as I can remember seeing it, and the sky was a beautiful as I have seen it. It was almost a clear sky, with clouds spaced out in different areas. It was really nice to see. It's a little bit surreal, knowing that a huge hurricane is about a day away.

It is a little bit scary waiting for this thing to hit. Not exactly knowing how powerful the storm is going to be, and possibly just how much damage it can bring with it. With the strong winds that it may be packing, I am assuming that it is just about a sure thing to be without power for a period of time. That is the thing I am dreading the most. I can't imagine being without power, without A/C for like a day. I guess that it could be in the cards though. Man, I am really dreading that.

Driving around the neighborhood this evening, I saw a few people boarding up their homes, I mean a few, and more people actually sitting outside either bbq'ing or just talking. It was pretty cool to see all these people actually chilling outside. Maybe they are just soaking in the "calm before the storm" or maybe they are enjoying the night since most probably having the day off tomorrow, I don't really know what their reasons were, but it was cool to see. Well, I will try to take pictures before and after the storm to share with everyone, but for now I just wanted to share my thoughts on the coming storm.


No comments: