Thursday, September 27, 2012

Vinyl...




Ok, I am thinking about making the switch. Giving up on cd's and moving to vinyl. Why? It's always tough to switch mediums. In the end, the change in inevitable. I have heard/read plenty that points to the fact that cd's are going to be obsolete in then next couple of years. It's kind of took me by surprise, but it really shouldn't have.

Change is inevitable, isn't it? One of my fears, was that it was all going to go the way of MP3's. You know, like strictly iTunes only. That isn't really for me. I have to have something concrete, you know?! I don't know why, I just do.

The next thing that struck me a little odd was the fact that vinyl, or analog, actually sounds better than digital. Why didn't I think of this? I mean, of course it does. Way back when I actually used to play, we used to say "oh, I want to be strictly analog," as just a purist type of thing...kind of snobby, you know?! I didn't think about this in terms of records....duh...

At various shows, I would see a band selling records at the merch booth, and I always thought it would be cool to buy one, from a collectors standpoint. I acted on it only once. The collector in me may end up getting the better of me, you know?!

Alisson is the next factor. She bought me the Nirvana Unplugged record that may ultimately open pandora's box on the whole thing. That and the fact that we went vinyl "window shopping" earlier in the week....damn, I saw a few that I would have loved to purchase. I may go back....

Here is my lonely records now...





...now I guess I will have to research a record player eventually...this hobby (as with any other) could get expensive for me....


Oh well...

No comments: