Saturday, November 1, 2008

some thoughts about Ike...

I had written down a few little notes/thoughts that I had while the Hurricane was heading towards us....scratch notes really...

5:15-5:30 - It got pretty dark in a hurry...after that, the wind increased as well...as fairly consistant as it had been all day...

7:11 - Trees in the backyard are hitting the power lines, and pretty good too...should be interesting. Scary, but interesting...

7:22 - Pine Trees in the front are swaying a lot...that is a scariest thing for me so far....

12:00 - a little bit scary, shit hitting the house...Mom sleeping on the floor (in hallway). Still have a long way to go...

12:50 - power is out, move to the hallway with Ruby...

1:20 - people across the street are outside...lots of popping noises in the distance...

That is the extent of my note taking during the storm...not that I needed to write stuff down because I will never forget that night.

It was pretty nuts...our neighbors across the street were outside almost all night, I was thinking that someone was going to die. They had been drinking all day, I guess celebrating the storm's arrival. They were even running up and down the street. I guess they had the most fun...I look at them a lot differently since then...

I kept thinking that our windows were going to get taken out. I didn't board them up, just duct taped them so that they wouldn't shatter into a million pieces, just maybe a thousand instead. When the storm hit, things kept hitting the sides of the house and i kept thinking that the windows were next, but we got lucky there.

Hearing the wind was incredible. Ruby and I kept looking at each other, wondering if it was going to let up ever. We had to move one of our couches againt the door because we thought the front door was going to fly open. It was insane...

No comments: